This is the second post in our series, Building your Digital Marketing Plan in the time of Social Distancing. Make sure you read the other two posts in the series, Create Content and Share your Content.

You have experience. You are up-to-date on what is going on in your area of practice. You have created content. Now is a good time to pull all of that together to build your personal brand and establish yourself as a subject matter expert.

Create a Presentation

People who establish themselves as a thought leader in their area of practice generally do so by speaking. Create an outline for a presentation you can give at an upcoming industry event. Then create a one-page speaker sheet that includes your bio and blurbs about your prepared presentations, including the summary, intended outcomes, and target audience. Remember to include your contact information. (This is another area where you can take your marketing efforts and add a business development twist to it by inviting a client or prospect to present with you.)

Seek Out Opportunities

After you have completed your presentation materials, research opportunities to present. These may be industry events (both legal and related to your practice area), private trainings, or even webinars. If possible, start applying to speak at your targeted events. If your targeted event is not yet taking applications, consider if you have any contacts you may be able to email about potential upcoming speaking opportunities.

Now, more than perhaps ever before, the climate is ripe for firms to present their own virtual programs. And these presentations need not be hyper formal or professionally produced. So many of us are like the guy in the commercial – business on top, pajama pants on the bottom. The important thing is getting content *out there*.

Share Relevant Content

Using the 70/30 rule of content posting, start sharing relevant content that someone else has created. (As a refresher, the 70/30 rule is that you share your content 30% of the time and relevant content from others 70% of the time.) Now is the time to read articles and listen to podcasts. If something resonates with you, quickly write a couple sentences about it and schedule it to post on your LinkedIn account. (More about that, and the other 30% of your social media content sharing in Building your Digital Marketing Plan in the time of Social Distancing Part 3:  Share your Content.)

Update Your LinkedIn Profile

Once you start sharing content, be that by applying to speak or on social media, people may want to learn more about who you are and what you do. Make sure that your LinkedIn profile is complete and up to date. Add any articles, blogs, or videos you have recently published, along with relevant matters you have handled. Make sure your summary is accurate and concise, that there are no spelling or grammar errors, and that your pictures are up to date and accurately reflect you and your law firm brand.

Prepare Award Submissions

Being the recipient of a reputable legal industry award can bolster your standing as a subject matter expert, especially if the award is directly related to your areas of practice. But every year it seems to be a last-minute race to gather the information required for the award submission and turn it in on time. Now is a great time to start compiling the matters, clients, and accomplishments you want to submit for consideration. If you want to apply for an award you have not pursued before, now is your opportunity to research it as well. (Don’t forget to look at industry specific awards and personal awards that may bolster your standing as a smart and trustworthy individual.)

There are a lot of different ways to create and execute a digital marketing strategy. Decide what works best for you and your firm, spend a little time planning, and establish yourself as a SME so when you are effectively sharing your own content, your audience knows and trusts your thought leadership.